Apprentices help give you the skills to compete
The construction industry offers a wide variety of exciting career opportunities and continues to need high quality new recruits to minimise the threat of skills shortages.
Construction is closely tied to the UK’s economic, social and environmental objectives. Even in a tough economic climate, the industry depends on training new entrants and the existing workforce to ensure it has the right skills to achieve these objectives.
The CCATF is committed to ensuring that employers who take on and train apprentices receive the necessary support, and to helping employers not currently training to learn the business benefits of supporting an apprentice.
Top ten reasons to support an apprentice
- Apprentices help businesses manage the risk of skills shortages.
- Apprentices are eager to learn and highly productive.
- Apprentices contribute to a business’ bottom line.
- Apprentices make businesses more competitive.
- Apprentices help develop the supervisory skills of existing employees.
- Apprentices can be trained according to the needs of the business and can develop a flexible skill set.
- Apprentices are very valuable when it comes to freeing up time for skilled employees.
- Apprentices help reduce staff turnover.
- Apprentices quickly become skilled employees.
- Apprenticeship training is supporting by government funding and the CITB Grant Scheme, making it more affordable.
An apprenticeship to suit everybody
All apprenticeships combine a job with training towards a nationally recognised qualification. However, there are different types of apprenticeship to help suit the needs of all employers and apprentices in the construction industry.
Help and financial support
Help and financial support is available to business that employ an apprentice through a variety of schemes.
The following organisations can provide further information on hiring an apprentice, advertising and vacancies, training and grants:
Tel: 0344 994 4044
National Apprenticeship Service (England only)
Tel: 08000 150 600
Download our leaflet for employers with further information on apprenticeships in the construction industry.